Facebook Touches 1 Billion Monthly Active Users
The inevitable has happened.
Facebook is now a billion strong network. Announcing this feat on FB Newsroom, Mark Zuckerberg said:
Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life.
I am committed to working every day to make Facebook better for you, and hopefully together one day we will be able to connect the rest of the world too.
According to the data shared by Facebook, it touched the 1 billion userbase on September 14th at 12:45 PM Pacific Time. And mind you, these are monthly ‘active’ users. The last time Facebook unveiled its data was in July end when it released its first Quarterly Report, back then Facebook had 955 million users.
Some other interesting stats shared by Facebook:
- The week Facebook hit 1 billion, the media age of users joining was 22.
- The top five countries where people connected from at the time Facebook reached this milestone were Brazil, India, Indonesia, Mexico and the United States
- Facebook now has more than 600 million mobile users
- Over 1.13 trillion likes since launch in February 2009
- 140.3 billion friend connections
- A total of 219 billion photos uploaded
- 17 billion location-tagged posts, including check-ins
- 62.6 million songs have been played 22 billion times – that’s about 210,000 years of music (Since the launch of music listening apps in September 2011)
Inferences to be Drawn from This Data
- Facebook is still going strong amongst its users even when investors are not much confident about it.
- An addition of 57 million mobile users in less than 3 months will prompt Facebook to focus more on mobile ads.
- Facebook checkins is giving a strong competition to other location based appps.
- A huge repository of images, Facebook’s focus on photos seems to be working well.
- Since the music listening apps have proved to be a big hit, Facebook should look at rolling them out to other countries as well. We would love to have a spotify in India.
While it remains to be seen how this announcement affects the stock prices of FB, I am pretty sure investors will be heaving a sigh of relief.
Featured Image: marcopako