The #WorldCup drama unfolded on the pitch in Russia, and it also played out on Twitter in a big way. Whether it was to celebrate heart-pounding victories, watch live tournament analysis on the platform, or to show sportsmanship despite tough defeats, football fans across the globe came to Twitter to experience every exhilarating and emotional moment as it happened.
After 64 thrilling matches, including the dramatic World Cup Final between France (@equipedefrance) and Croatia (@HNS_CFF), Twitter compiled the numbers and their visualizations that illustrate the massive role Twitter played for fans since the event began on June 14.
There were 115 billion Impressions (views on Twitter) of Tweets during the World Cup
Whether the crowd was reacting to a big goal, predicting the outcome of the next match, or discussing the latest injury or officiating controversy, fans came to Twitter to discuss the all things related to the #WorldCup.
Fans Tweeted the most during the Final between France and Croatia
We saw the bulk of the conversation during the live matches, including during the final match between France and Croatia, which was the top Tweeted match of the #WorldCup.
Here are the five most-tweeted matches:
1. France vs. Croatia (#WorldCupFinal; July 15)
2. Brazil vs. Belgium (#BRABEL; July 6)
3. Brazil vs. Mexico (#BRAMEX; July 2)
4. France vs. Argentina (#FRAARG; June 30)
5. Costa Rica vs. Brazil (#BRACRC; June 22)
Fans sent more Tweets when Kylian Mbappé scored France’s fourth goal in its #WorldCupFinal victory over Croatia than at any other point during the tournament.
Here are the top five moments that generated the biggest peaks of Twitter conversation, measured in Tweets per minute (TPM), during the entire tournament:
1. Kylian Mbappé (France) scores France’s fourth goal; France leads 4-1 in the Final (July 15)
2. Philippe Coutinho goal in extra time gives Brazil 1-0 lead against Costa Rica (June 22)
3. South Korea defeats Germany 2-0 (June 27)4. Final Whistle: France defeats Croatia 4-2 in the Final (July 15)
5. Final Whistle: Belgium secures 2-1 victory over Brazil (July 6)
Brazil sent more Tweets than any other nation during the #WorldCup
Football fans around the globe came to Twitter to talk about the event. Fans in Brazil sent more Tweets about the tournament than any other country. Here’s a ranking of the countries who Tweeted the most:
3. United Kingdom
4. United States
Brazil’s Neymar Jr. was the most-mentioned player of the tournament
These were the most mentioned players of the #WorldCup:
1. Neymar, Jr. (@neymarjr; Brazil)
2. Lionel Messi (Argentina)
3. Cristiano Ronaldo (@Cristiano; Portugal)
4. Kylian Mbappé (@KMbappe; France)
5. Philippe Coutinho (@Phil_Coutinho; Brazil)
Brazil was the most-mentioned team of the #WorldCup
Here are the most Tweeted about teams of the tournament:
1. Brazil (@CBF_Futebol)
2. France (@equipedefrance)
3. Argentina (@Argentina)
4. England (@England)
5. Portugal (@selecaoportugal)
@Budweiser was the most-discussed brand on Twitter
Football fans weren’t the only people following the #WorldCup. Several brands joined the conversation as the action on the pitch unfolded. These were the most globally mentioned brands of the tournament: