After Twitter Blue, Meta launches subscription service
Meta Verified, a new subscription bundle that includes account verification with impersonation protections and access to increased visibility and support, has been launched in the testing phase.
Mark Zuckerberg announced that the company will begin testing a new offering called Meta Verified, a subscription bundle on Instagram and Facebook. This will include a verified badge that authenticates an account with a government ID, account protection, access to account support, and increased visibility and reaches. This is starting with a gradual test in Australia and New Zealand later this week.
With Meta Verified, users will get the following:
- A verified badge, confirming the real identity and that the account has been authenticated with a government ID
- More protection from impersonation with proactive account monitoring for impersonators who might target people with growing online audiences
- Help when you need it with access to a real person for common account issues
- Increased visibility and reach with prominence in some areas of the platform– like search, comments and recommendations
- Exclusive features to express yourself in unique ways
- Meta Verified is available for direct purchase on Instagram or Facebook in Australia and New Zealand starting later this week. People can purchase a monthly subscription for (USD) $11.99 on the web and (USD) $14.99 on iOS and Android
During the testing phase, there will be no changes to accounts on Instagram and Facebook that are already verified based on prior requirements, including authenticity and notability. Meta is altering the meaning of the verified badge so it can expand access to verification and more people can trust the accounts they interact with are authentic.
Series of checks and eligibility criteria for Meta Verified, before, during, and after someone applies.
- To be eligible, accounts must meet minimum activity requirements, such as prior posting history, and be at least 18 years old
- Applicants are then required to submit a government ID that matches the profile name and photo of the Facebook or Instagram account they’re applying for
- Subscriptions will include proactive monitoring for account impersonation
- Monitoring and review of reported violations
Also Read: Instagram introduces broadcast channels for creators
Highlights To Remember:
- Exclusive stickers would be offered on Facebook and Instagram Stories and Facebook Reels, and 100 free stars a month on Facebook so users can show support for other creators.
- AUD 19.99 on the web, AUD 24.99 on iOS and Android. NZD 23.99 on web, NZD 29.99 on iOS and Android
- Businesses are not eligible to apply for Meta Verified at this time
- Meta Verified will only support the real name on the profile. Once the profile is verified, users can’t change the profile name, username, date of birth, or photo on their profile without going through the Meta Verified subscription and verifications application process again