This year, people in India and across the world came together in moments of celebration, protest, mourning and joy. Millions of you contributed to the moments and conversations that unfolded on Twitter!
Let’s have a look at some memorable moments of 2014 n Twitter in India –
People put out more than 500 million Tweets per day. Each one contributes something special to Twitter, but only one is recognized as the “Golden Tweet,” a.k.a. the Most-Retweeted Tweet of the year.
This year, the global honour goes to @TheEllenShow’s starry photo from the March Oscars telecast:
#YearOnTwitter in India
The Golden Tweet for India in 2014 comes from the #LokSabha election with Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s (@NarendraModi) election-winning Tweet becoming the most retweeted Tweet ever in India:
Here are some more details of the #YearOnTwitter in India:
Top 10 Peaks in Twitter Conversation among Indians
As world’s largest platform for live, public conversations, Indians expressed, consumed and connected with their fellow compatriots over global and Indian events in real-time on Twitter.
Rohit Sharma (@ImRo45) smashed the world record for the highest individual ODI cricket score of 264 on November 13th versus Sri Lanka at the Eden Gardens in Kolkata. That incredible batting display drove the biggest spike in conversations on Twitter in India this year. In fact, among the Top 10 moments, three are related to cricket including the Indian Premier League. The roar of the cricket fans indeed, was heard on Twitter this year in India.
The fan club of Rajinikanth (@superstarrajini) definitely made itself heard as well, with his arrival on Twitter making it the second largest peak in Twitter conversation of the year. With over 200,000 followers in the first 24 hours and now over 1.1 million in total. It’s evident that he has many loyal fans both off and on Twitter.
Hardly surprising, two of the top 5 peaks in conversations were about PM Modi (@NarendraModi). With 8.5 million followers, he is currently the second most followed political leader in the world (after President Barack Obama) and continues to grow his followers at a rapid pace.
RANK DATE MOMENT
1. 13 Nov 2014 – Rohit Sharma scores 264 runs vs Sri Lanka. He claimed the record for the world’s highest ever ODI score by an individual
2. 4th May 2014 – Rajinikanth joins Twitter with a message of thanks to his legion of fans and has over 200,000 followers within the first two days
3. 22nd April 2014 – PM candidate Narendra Modi refrains his supporters from making irresponsible statements during the election campaign
4. 2nd May 2014 – The 2014 season of the Pepsi IPL returns to India
5. 3rd May 2014 – Narendra Modi gives an interview for a Hindi News channel leading to a big debate on Freedom of Press
6. 23rd April 2014 – Kejriwal files nomination papers from Varanasi as Shazia Ilmi stokes controversy over communal comment
7. 23rd October 2014 – India celebrates Diwali
8. 21st May 2014 – Arvind Kejriwal arrested for protesting on the streets of Delhi
9. 2nd July 2014 – Outrage over tennis star Maria Sharapova claiming she does not know who cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar is
10. 11th Arpil 2014 – SP leader Abu Azmi’s rakes up controversy by claiming there should be punishment involved women in rape cases
Top 20 Most Retweeted Tweets from Indian Twitter accounts
While politics dominates the top moments on Twitter in 2014, it is PM Modi (@NarendraModi) that sits right atop the list of most Re-Tweeted Tweets of the year. The Golden Tweet of 2014 was his declaration of victory on the 16th of May 2014 gaining over 70,000 retweets celebrating his win.
The top 20 most retweeted Tweets of India is also a reminder of the massive influence film stars have in India. While Salman Khan (@beingsalmankhan) is number two on the list, Rajinikanth’s (@superstarrajini) first ever Tweet actually makes it to sixth on the list for the year.
Also, making a debut is ISRO’s Mars Orbiter (@MarsOrbiter) as two of its Tweets make the top 10 as it made its historic journey to reach the red planet.
Sports also makes an entry on the list with Sachin Tendulkar’s (@sachin_rt) Tweet, his touching tribute to the fallen Aussie cricketer Phil Hughes.
@narendramodi, 70,515 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@beingsalmankhan,51,981 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@VEERIAN, 30,853 RTs: https://twitter.com/VEERIAN/
@taran_adarsh, 24,657 RTs: https://twitter.com/taran_
@beingsalmankhan, 18,374 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@superstarrajini, 14,979 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@atulreellife, 13,161 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@VEERIAN, 12,789 RTs: https://twitter.com/VEERIAN/
@MarsOrbiter, 12,495 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@MarsOrbiter, 12,488 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@superstarrajini, 12,391 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@narendramodi, 12,370 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@SonyMusicIn, 11,440 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@deepikapadukone, 11,323RTs: https://twitter.com/
@sonakshisinha, 10,020 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@deepikapadukone, 9,363 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@deepikapadukone, 9,334 RTs: https://twitter.com/
@iamsrk, 8,967 RTs: https://twitter.com/iamsrk/
@sachin_rt, 8,510 RTs: https://twitter.com/sachin_rt/
@narendramodi, 7,995 RTs: https://twitter.com/