WhatsApp has worked with operating system and device manufacturers to roll out the new data transfer feature, and going forward users will be abe to switch to different operating systems without losing their chat history.
Previously, users had a difficult time transferring their WhatsApp data to other operating systems when they switched phones and the messaging platform mentions that the functionality to transfer chat history has been one of the most requested features.
With the new feature, chat history, voice messages, photos, and videos can be transferred from iOS to Android. Currently, the feature is available on select Samsung devices running on Android 10 or higher and will be available on more Android devices soon. WhatsApp also mentions the data transfer will be processed without the messages being sent to WhatsApp.
When users set up a new device, they’ll be provided with the option to transfer their chats from their old device to the new one. This process will require a USB-C to lightning cable. The functionality will be developed further to support the switch between different platforms and operating systems.
How to transfer WhatsApp data from iPhone to a Samsung phone:
Users can transfer account information, profile photo, individual chats, group chats, chat history, media, and settings, and cannot transfer call history or display name.
- Samsung SmartSwitch app version 188.8.131.52 or greater installed on new device
- WhatsApp iOS version 184.108.40.206 or greater on old device
- WhatsApp Android version 220.127.116.11 or greater on new device
- USB-C to Lightning cable (or equivalent adapters)
- Use the same phone number on the new device as the old device
- New Android device must be factory new or reset to factory settings
How to migrate from iPhone to Samsung
- Turn on your Samsung and connect by cable to your iPhone when prompted
- Follow the Samsung Smart Switch experience
- When prompted, scan the QR code displayed on the new device using the iPhone’s camera
- Tap Start on your iPhone, and wait for the process to complete
- Continue setting up your new Samsung
- When you reach the home screen, open WhatsApp and log in using the same phone number used on your old device
- Tap Import when prompted, and allow the process to complete
- Finish activating your new device and you’ll see your chats waiting for you