Instagram is connecting the Messenger and Instagram experience to bring Messenger features to Instagram. Users on Instagram can decide whether they wish to update immediately to this experience.
With the integration of Messenger and Instagram, the platform wants to make it easier to find a certain conversation thread and is adding more new features.
Messages and calls from friends and family using Instagram will stay in the Instagram app.
The main change is that people using the Messenger app can now reach users on Instagram. Users can also control where they receive messages and calls, such as in chats, in message requests, or not at all.
Features from Messenger like replying to a specific message, forwarding a message, and customizable chat colors and themes, will be available on Instagram now. Users will be able to use custom emoji reactions, and soon, message effects.
Features such as custom emoji reactions and selfie stickers will be available on Instagram first and will come to Messenger soon after.
Here are all the features coming soon to the new Messenger experience on Instagram:
Also Read: Instagram introduces updates for Reels
- Communicate Across Apps: Connect with friends and family across Instagram and Messenger by using either app to send messages and join video calls.
- Watch Together: Watch videos on Facebook Watch, IGTV, Reels (coming soon), TV shows, movies, and more with friends and family during a video call.
- Vanish Mode: Choose a mode where seen messages disappear after they’re seen or when you close the chat.
- Selfie Stickers: Create a series of boomerang stickers with your selfie to use in conversation.
- Chat Colors: Personalize your chats with color gradients.
- Custom Emoji Reactions: Create a shortcut of your favorite emojis to react to messages from friends.
- Forwarding: Share content with up to five friends or groups.
- Replies: Respond directly to a specific message in your chat.
- Animated Message Effects: Add visuals to a message with animated send effects.
- Message Controls: Decide who can message you directly, and who can’t message you at all.
- Enhanced Reporting and Blocking Updates: Now you can report full conversations in addition to single messages on Instagram, and receive proactive blocking suggestions across Instagram and Messenger when you add your accounts in the new Accounts Center.