As the countdown to the general elections 2014 begins, social media conversations around possible candidates for the top positions have gathered momentum and are likely to reach a crescendo as we get closer.
Blogworks, a marketing, communication & research services firm has launched the first edition of its monthly India’s Most Mentioned Political Leaders index analyzing the Top 20 Most Mentioned Political Leaders online for the period January 2013 – April 2013.
Some of the key highlights of the report:
- The top five ‘Most Mentioned Political Leaders’ online are Narendra Modi, Rahul Gandhi, Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi and Arvind Kejriwal (in that order)
- Narendra Modi leads with more than thrice as many mentions as the nearest contender, Rahul Gandhi
- Narendra Modi (63%) is marginally behind Rahul Gandhi (67%) in terms of percentage of mentions by the youth between the age-group of 18-34. It is noteworthy that Arvind Kejriwal and Sushma Swaraj’s mentions are from a relatively older age-group of users between 45-54 years of age
- Narendra Modi has the highest mentions by women (30%) followed by Sushma Swaraj (24%)
- Though Narendra Modi has the highest total reach on Twitter, M. Karunanidhi leads in terms of being connected with the most inﬂuential users on Twitter followed by Arun Jaitley, J. Jayalalithaa, Anna Hazare and ﬁnally Omar Abdullah.