As the dramatic year draws to a close, let us take a walk through the highlight moments of 2016, a year that witnessed unprecedented social media activity – from the United States Presidential Election, Rio Olympics, to closer home with the release of Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s much awaited biopic to the tragic Uri attacks.
As Facebook continues to bloom into one of the largest social media platforms, cementing their authority in the Indian subcontinent too. By making efforts to popularize their platform in India, getting newer users on board, Facebook now has more than 166 million Monthly Active Users in India, and more than 85 million Daily Active Users.
Facebook also expressed solidarity with mobile users, and people with sketchy internet connectivity by introducing a number of Lite versions of Facebook and Messenger, and other updates due to which the number of Facebook’s Mobile Monthly Active User stands at an incredible 159 million, and more than 81 million Mobile Daily Active Users.
The Ten most talked about topics from 2016
Owing to the high user numbers, India contributed significantly to the proceedings on Facebook, so let us take a look at some of the most talked about topics on Facebook this year.
3. Uri attacks
4. Mahendra Singh Dhoni – The Untold Story
5. Hardwell India Tour
6. Priyanka Chopra
7. Rio Olympics
8. Pokemon GO
9. Pathankot attacks
10. iPhone 7 Launch
These were the topics that were most popular in India this past year, now let us take a look at some of the topics that were popular globally.
Top Ten Global Topics
1. United States Presidential Election
2. Brazilian Politics
3. Pokemon GO
4. Black Lives Matter
5. Rodrigo Duterte & Philippine Presidential Election
8. Super Bowl
9. David Bowie
10 .Muhammad Ali
Facebook Live has not only been accepted with open arms in India, but also over the world. Here are some of the most watched Live Videos from across the world.
Ten most viewed Facebook Live Videos Globally
1. Chewbacca Mom – Candayce Payne
2. Ted Yoder – Soundscapes
3. Buzzfeed – Countdown to the next presidential election
4. Atlanta Buzz, People are lining up to hug police officers in Dallas
5. NBC News, Election results
6. Under the Hood, Video of a truck completely carved out of wood
7. Viral Thread, Population count from US to CA
8. CNN, Election results on Empire State building
9. Dena Blizzard, Pokemon Go for moms ”Chardonnay Go”
10. Super Deluxe, Election map
To commemorate the end of the year, and to celebrate the moments from 2016, Facebook will display a personalized video for Facebook users on their News Feed, picked from all the moments of the past year.