Have you ever had that client who speaks in keywords or social media buzzwords and briefs in Instagram captions? Right from requests such as “make a viral campaign” to “we need to think like Gen Y” – they’ve said it all, and you’ve killed them in your head over and over!
A great industry, ironically where content and content creators play such an important role, vocabulary often suffers at the hands of clichés. And if you have worked in this industry long enough, you’ve surely charted out ways of converting these cringeworthy notes into things sensible and doable.
While we can’t really shame all those who use, overuse, and abuse these words, we can definitely nudge them into direction of general awareness; something like – don’t use these words! Period.
So, let’s redefine social media vocabulary, with disruptive keywords that millennials love. Kidding! Let’s get rid of these…
- Viral – Fever. Let’s just stick to fever!
2. CTA – Click here to delete these overused words!
3. Big Data – Just glad there is nothing called, small data
4. Engagement – Something that happens before the wedding?
5. Collaboration – Partnership, combination, association – let’s just delete all.
6. Storytelling – My grandma did that well
7. Concall – A WhatsApp is just as effective!
8. Millennial – Young people. We get it!
9. UGC – No!
10. Trending – Really? Still?
11. Sentiment – Want to know my sentiment right now?
12. Monetize – Show me the money!
13. Word Cloud – I prefer clouds stay in the sky
14. Clickbait – It’s a scam. Just accept it.
15. Mandate – Like compulsory?
These are just 15 of the many, many, many more annoying clichéd and overused social media buzzwords out there. Words that are thrown at you by clients, bosses, colleagues, and well, sometimes you yourself are left with no option but to throw in one of these.
For all the cringe you have gone through, pat your backs. Yes, you deserve this one!