Asus recently partnered with the marketing team promoting Chennai Express, to promote their top-of-the-line product – the Asus Transformer Book to capitalize on the immense fan following Chennai Express has garnered. Asus has made the most of its association with this fun film by running a series of contests on its social properties.
To kick off the season of giveaways, the brand ran a series of small contests, with a Mega Contest running at the same time on their Facebook page. The grand prize was a one-of-a-kind Asus Transformer Book autographed by Shah Rukh Khan and Rohit Shetty, the lead actor and the director respectively of the film, Chennai Express.
Titled the Asus Fan Express, the activity required fans to upload a 20 second video professing their love for Chennai Express and Asus in a unique and wacky way. The wackiest videos stand to win the Grand prize or one of three Asus Memo Pads. The contest ended on August 18, 2013.
All the shortlisted videos win gift hampers from Asus, and the winner of this round will receive the grand prize, which is an Asus Transformer Book while both runner-ups won an Asus Memo-pad each.
The Twitter campaign began on on August 1, 2013, with a series of contests focused on Twitter, while at the same time providing support for the contests on Facebook. The strategy behind the Twitter contests was to let users interact with the brand via fun hashtags, with the film used as a conversation starter.
The brand’s campaign on Twitter was essentially a cluster of 5 short and fun hashtag-based contests like #AsusPoPlaces and #AsusPoChennai where Tweeps travelled along with Asus on a fictional journey to Chennai, and answered questions on each hypothetical destination reached. Another fun contest titled #AsusChennaiTwist had participants tweeting their favourite bollywood dialogue with a Chennai Twist.
For the first contest with the hashtag #AsusReadySteadyPo, Tweeps were asked to view a product feature video of the new Asus Transformer Book – ‘Asus Celebrates Chennai Express’ - and were required to answer 5 questions based on it. The questions ranged from the features of the product, to what tweeps thought of the Brand, and its celebration of Chennai Express.
Winners were chosen on the basis of how witty their answers were and were sent gift hampers by the brand.
- The contest successfully linked both the movie and the brand, while educating users about Asus’ latest product.
- The contest garnered more than 400 entries out of which around 50 are currently up for public voting while the page attracted 51901 new likes.
- On the first day of the campaign, the brand received 93 new followers, 1204 Tweets, 889,830 impressions, along with the hashtag #AsusReadySteadyPo trending in both Mumbai and India and the handle trending in Mumbai over a period of 2.5 hours.
- The success of this contest was further cemented by the fact that the handle continued to garner followers at a brisk rate, even after the end of the contest. The handle stood at 1,955 followers, showing an increase of close to 200 followers in a span of 16 days.
- The hashtag trended in Mumbai and in India.
Fans Reaction to “Asus Celebrating Chennai Express”
Fans Reaction to the contest